Wednesday 27 August 2008

Return to 'Guyville': Liz Phair revisits her sacred and profane masterwork

In June of 1993, first-time transcription artist Liz Phair had no thought that the project she spent all day every day thought about would become a girl-rock landmark.


On the sound from Los Angeles, the now 41-year-old singer recalled creating �Exile In Guyville,� a courageous, confessional and occasionally crude lo-fi letter from the front lines of the burgeoning alterna-rock movement. Her woman�s head of view in the testosterone-fueled grime era won raves from a national media intrigued by Phair�s claim to have patterned the album after the Rolling Stones� �Exile On Main St.�


�You�ve got to remember I went from zero to famous and I had no live,� she said. �All of a sudden I was the (expletive) queen mole rat across the nation. I was not prepared for that.�




The record album struck a chord with countless women who�d been dragged to rock clubs by their musician boyfriends, as well as with musicians themselves. Many found a akin spirit in Phair�s shockingly direct, oft daring, lyrics.


Fifteen years subsequently that connection remains strong: Phair will play �Guyville� in its entirety to a sold-out Paradise on Friday.


�I didn�t know what to require or how I would feel,� Phair said of the handful of �Guyville� day of remembrance shows she�s played. �I didn�t know if I could peradventure remember whatever of my songs, the rare ones from �Guyville� that I don�t play live a lot.�


Was climbing into the way-back simple machine daunting?


�Umm, yea, it�s extraordinarily daunting!� she replied. �I wasn�t sure I could do it because I�m non that years anymore. We all move on, merely on stage I realised everybody gets that. They�re not the same (years) either.�


One thing that stiff the same is Phair�s eagerness to create. After making iV post-�Guyville� albums and taking the essential major label roller coaster ride, she�s back where she started: on an indie label.


Though ATO Records is a major indie player, Phair feels relieve to telephone the shots on a new discharge she�s preparation for side by side year. And she�s comfy with ATO�s big party boss, Dave Matthews.


�I pull it out from them ahead it gets too produced,� she said. �I was scarcely like, �Umm, nope.� I�m saying no to a lot of people.�


Including, it seems, jam-band maven Matthews.


�Really,� Phair said, �I should be like, �Yes, sir. Thank you selfsame much, sir. Anything you care to contribute.� �


But Phair is no pushover, as �Guyville� admirers know, and her topper work is her most raw.


�I barely really like (the new songs) ahead they�re polished,� she said.





More information